I just wanted to share this story of my little 1st grader. One of her classmates was looking through a magazine during class today. There was an ad for Operation Smile or Smile Train. Ashlyn's said that her classmate started showing several of the other children in the class. Some of the children starting laughing. It hurt Ashlyn's feelings because "they were laughing at the orphans". Ashlyn took the magazine away from the classmate & went to her desk. She CUT out the page in the magazine & put it in her desk and then in her backpack.
I'm not sure the children in the ad were orphans. But Ashlyn associates cleft lip with orphans. And she associates orphans with her little sister! Sydney does not have cleft lip but Ashlyn has seen several pictures from my bloggin' friends and their families. We tried to "prepare" the kids for almost all of the special needs we checked.
I was thinking how hard it is for some adults to stand up for what they believe in. And here a 6 year old stood up to her friends with no problem. We are so proud of Miss Ashlyn Grace!
Monday, August 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






9 comments:
Ashlyn you have a sweet and compassionate
heart. I know Jesus is looking down from
heaven and smiling because of the love
you showed for His little ones.
Okay....I'm crying....
Way to go Ashlyn!
Oh my goodness. That brought tears and chills to me!
PLEASE tell Ashlyn how much that made this Mommy's heart glad--that she stood up for the children. And what a Christlike manner in which she did it. Wow.
I am crying now too! I don't know if Ashlyn ever saw our S before her lip was repaired, but I know exactly how she felt b/c I get that way too when I see people pointing, laughing or wincing at those precious faces. We have those same ads in our magazine scrap box for S to make picture collages with. You know what S does--she kisses those sweet cleft-affected faces!!!
Please give Ashlyn a hug and a well done from me! That post made my WEEK!
Tell Ashlyn how proud I am of her, this coming from the mom of a cleft palate boy!!! We need more Ashlyn's in this world!!!
That gave me chills. Good for her! That is a proud moment you'll never forget!
What an amazing little girl Ash is. So proud of her. She must have some great parents that have helped her have a heart like Jesus.
Obviously, you and PJ have done a wonderful raising Ashlyn and Phillip. Such a beautiful example of unconditional love!
Ashlyn you are a treasure. How brave it is to stand up to your peers. Mom is so right about how we as adults often have a hard time doing so.
Precious Ashlyn, you loved on my little son Owen by doing that...you warmed this mommy's heart all the way here in Tennessee, and what is more beautiful, you warmed the heart of Jesus. (Owen is a beautiful little baby boy who was born with a cleft lip.) You have learned to look "not on the outward appearance, but on the heart", and that is truly beautiful. You taught a great lesson to your classmates, too. :)
Hugs...your sister is very blessed to have you...brother, too!
Post a Comment